Thursday, October 14, 2010

What is a Nor'easter?

So, I was scanning my 5th favorite website, http://www.weathers.com/, and came across a system called the Nor'easter.  I thought to myself, what in the world is that?  Supposedly, according to Wikipedia (my 3rd favorite website), the Nor'easter is a macro scale storm system along the east coast of the United States. This storm can cause major flooding, hurricane type force winds and heavy rain or snow.  On Thursday night, the east coast would feel the impact of the Nor'easter storm which will bring 40 to 50 mile per hour winds.  Meterologists expect that the strong gust of winds will topple trees and knock out power to thousands of eastern American citizens.  It is reported that rain can average levels of up to 1-2 inches, although higher amounts of water is not uncommon.  Usually, after this storm flows through the east coast cool cold weather comes in from England accompanied by snow (Christmas time already!). 

The storm system will cause a lot of headaches for those that are traveling.  Those traveling through by plane will experience heavy delays or even cancellations due to the fact that the winds are so strong it may cause planes to crash.  Heavy traffic congestion is also expected on highways and interstates too. Coming from a relatively large city (New Orleans), I know it must be hell going through these traffic congestions.  I could remember it would take me 2 1/2 hours to get home from the French Quarter.  Just imagine how long it would take these guys to get home. I love rain and snow just as much as the next guy but just being in heavy traffic and add the strong gust of winds is one of the main reasons I can not see myself living along the northern east coast. I love my southern states a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment