Friday, September 24, 2010

Unexpected Flooding

Floods across the Midwest are causing havocs for those that live throughout the region.  Record amounts of rain drenched the region with amounts of up to 11 inches.  The rain has closed roads and has caused one city mayor to call for a state of emergency.  The downpour has caused rivers and streams to overfill causing added headaches to citizens affected by the floods.  Reports indicate that although rain showers have stopped there is a strong low pressure frontal system pushing its way to the upper Midwest area.
I guess not only are Minnesota Viking fans dealing with a 0-2 record but now they must deal with these unforgiving weather conditions.  Okay, that was a joke I had to throw in there but on a serious note, I hope all those within the region can overcome the adversity the flash floods have placed upon those citizens.  I can remember back in the 80's, when I lived in New Orleans, we experienced my first flooding.  Streets were flooded and impassable.  To get somewhere many New Orleanians would paddle their way in personally owned boats. I thought it was cool back then but now since I have responsibilities it would not be so funny if one did not have flood insurance. Floods cause major damage to cars and homes and without flood insurance, the expense of paying out of pocket can cause a financial strain. Although Yuma rarely receives rain, the area I live in floods from time to time.  When I was presented with flood insurance, I did not hesitate to make sure my family and I are protected from the wrath of torrential downpours.  Personally in my own opinion, floods are more dangerous than a hurricane. Some times you can wait out the effects of a hurricane but when a flood comes into town you have to evacuate.  Article and pictures courtesy of http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/flooding-midwest-thursday_2010-09-23?page=2.

No comments:

Post a Comment